11.25.2009

GOOD THINGS...IN ABUNDANCE

Thanksgiving, 2003 my Mother surprised our large family with a Circle of Thanksgiving... asking each of us to take a moment and give thanks. I'll never forget the thanks given by each member of my family. It was especially poignant because it was my Mother's last Thanksgiving with us. I miss my mother very much but Thanksgiving is especially difficult...she was the glue of our family and our Thanksgiving meal was a time we all came together for a wonderful day of grace and fellowship (well, most of the time). Her meal would usually feed at least 100. I never fully appreciated all the effort and energy she put into that meal until she was gone. I do now that I try, with great difficulty, to mimic her recipes or those of her mother or sister. I find myself, every year, calling my aunt, cousin and my sister asking "how do I do this and how do I do that", not to count the constant browsing of the internet to figure exactly how to do a special request. Listen up all mothers...write your recipes down today and pass them along to your children. They will be so thankful. I even cornered Ms. Rosa at work, not once, but twice to double check how to do the dressing. Thanksgiving 2003, Mother had each of us give individual thanks. It melted my heart to hear how each family member was thankful for the other and especially heartwarming to hear the gratitude my sons bestowed upon me and how I had impacted their lives. On morning talk show this week I heard a woman say that she was thankful for EVERY SINGLE day she put her feet on the floor and grateful there was a day to celebrate it with pumpkin pie, her favorite! So, as I start my day I will give thanks but for now, I want to express some of the things for which I am grateful. Things that I never want to take for granted...some that make my life a wonderful place, some that simplify my life and some that make my life run more smoothly. For all, I am grateful. 1. My sons, Steven and Sam. Steven, especially for finding Lauren the most beautiful daughter-in-awe and now wonderful new mother to my grandson, Brock...Daddy, is it Game Time, Yet?

Steven, Lauren and Brock. He's in there somewhere. 2. My family "back home." I wish we saw each other more.

3. My faith. It is always with me.

4. My health and the doctors who help me stay healthy. Dr. B., you are the best!

5. Crayolas, colored pens, glue, stickers and paper. I still love to cut, paste, stamp and glue.

6. The sunrise. "May the great mystery make sunrise in your heart." ~ Old Indian Saying Every morning on my way to work it's interesting to see the sun rise. On foggy days like this past week, it plays hide-n-seek with the clouds.

7. A good book and my fireplace. And then the good book that becomes a great movie.

8. The scent of my home and the coziness of my bed. My home is my safe haven.

9. Pink roses, my favorite!

10. Photos that capture so many moments, places, memories AND the friends who take them and share them with me.

11. Computers...and they keep getting cheaper, lighter and faster. Love my new screaming fast HP! Thank you, my HP son, for making the right one arrive here!

12. Mani's and Pedi's...thank you , Jenny.

13. My newly acquired taste for red wine, especially Conconan 2005. It's sooo smooth.

14. Baseball. It's the Sign of Spring.

15. Small mistakes. "Mistakes are a fact of life. It's the response to the error that counts." ~ Nikki Giovanni

16. Online bill pay. Though it is fun to see the little 5x7 envelopes arrive at work.

17. My "binky" for tired shoulders.

18. I'm grateful for Spellcheck...now if I can just master Excel!

19. The smell of new shoes, the look of new shoes, just NEW SHOES!

20. Matinee movies and eating movie popcorn WHEN the movie begins!

21. Chunky peanut butter. Smooth peanut butter. Organic, of course.

22. The smell of a new baby. I Love You Brock... Nana.

23. Falling into bed after a long productive day. "A well-spent day means happy sleep." ~Leonardo Da Vinci

24. Handwritten thank you cards. "Thou that hast given so much to me, give me one thing more, a grateful heart." ~George Herbert

25. My inner peace. "It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness." ~ C H Spurgeon

26. Oatmeal and brown sugar on Sunday mornings.

27. A "smize" from a little brown eyed girl, named Myla, who smiles at you with big beautiful brown eyes that gaze at you, hence; "Smize". At age two she warms your heart with those beautiful eyes and makes you proud with every new word and adventure. Myla's sweet kisses are treasured.

28. My happiness. "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." ~Abraham Lincoln

29. My hairdryer. Whatever did we do without them. Maybe no swimming, PAnn?

30. My dependable, sturdy, reliable Yukon. We've seen so much together.

31. My iPhone. How did I ever function without it?

33. My feelings, my emotions, my heart. "Feelings are much like waves, we can't stop them from coming but we can choose which ones to surf. ~Jonatan Martensson.

34. My friends, near and far though it has taken me many years to learn the value of a good girlfriend...I've got it now and "it's a good thing." My friend, my neighbor...love you, Sharon. And my neighbors on Farmtown, too. It's been fun to reconnect with friends from my past on FaceBook because they have re-entered my present.

35. I'm grateful for headlights in my driveway...it means someone special is here to visit. Black vehicles have extra special meaning...

As I spend my Thanksgiving Day, I will take notice of all the abundance in my life, the good things in my life...the things that make my life run smoothly and how many small miracles happen throughout the day... a baby's laughter, extended families who love each other and create Hallmark moments, laughter and good food. I want to feel that moment of gratitude on Thanksgiving Day for the basic fact that one more time, the sun has risen, it brightens my day and it will hold me tight...safe and warm like a big hug. As Princess Diana said "Hugs are free, you can never have too many."

May All The Good Things In Your Life Be in Abundance! Happy Thanksgiving.

~ BABS

No comments: